Almost nothing beats waking up on a Saturday morning to a big plate of fluffy, gluten-free pancakes.
And you know that first bite, how perfect it is? With the sweet maple syrup dripping down the sides of your cakes, the warm butter slowly melting in the center. The two flavors intertwining, creating a fireworks explosion in your mouth, instantly causing the sides of your mouth to curve up in a smile.
Yes, pancakes are the perfect way to start your weekend. Especially when they’re healthy.
And these pancakes are definitely healthy.
Packed with the quinoa, who brings her amazing super powers to the party each time she arrives, these pancakes are full of protein and other essential nutrients. There’s even a banana thrown in there for an added bonus. And topped with blueberries, the all time super star? This is a balanced and guilt-free way to start the day!
This breakfast just goes to show, you have still have your cakes and eat them too.
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup quinoa flakes
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 banana, smashed
- 2 large whites, whipped to stiff peaks
- 1½ cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Whisk the dry ingredients together (minus the quinoa) in a medium mixing bowl.
- Beat the banana, milk and teaspoon together in small bowl and add to the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Add the quinoa and gently mix with a wooden spoon.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking oil.
- Ladle the pancake batter onto the pan, cooking 2 – 3 minutes per side.
- Serve warm, smothered in maple syrup and fresh berries.