Are you a chocolate lover like me?
If you are, then you know what I mean when I say that chocolate has super powers. It’s one of those foods that soothes the soul. It can bring you back to life when you’re feeling down, bringing a smile to your face from its sweet richness. A taste that you turn to in times of good and bad. Chocolate is always by your side.
So when I set out to make my own dairy-free, refined sugar-free version of With Style & Grace’s Chocolate Peanut Butter & Jelly Cups, I knew it all started with the chocolate. A dark, dark chocolate.
Like really dark. Like the unsweetened kind of dark.
But to me, chocolate isn’t really chocolate without a little sweetness. And when I’m thinking chocolate for dessert, I need that “sugary” pick me up.
This recipe is just that, but without the sugar. Only slightly sweet, but sugary enough that it qualifies as a dessert, this is a healthy spin on one of my childhood favorites. Packed with superfoods like coconut oil, almond butter and of course dark chocolate, I could eat these all day long and never feel an ounce of guilt.
- 6 ounces unsweetened dark chocolate (or chocolate of your choice)*
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1½ teaspoon stevia
- ⅔ cup almond butter (or nut butter of your choice)
- Coarse sea salt (optional, but worth it)
- Line a mini-muffin pan with mini cupcake liners, and place the almond butter in the refrigerator.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler, adding the coconut oil, honey and stevia once it has become a liquid. Adjust your sweeteners to taste.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the melted chocolate into the cupcake liners, using the back of the spoon to push it up the sides of the liners slightly.
- Place muffin tin in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the tin from the freezer and scoop about ½ teaspoon of chilled almond butter into the bottom of each chocolate cup.
- Place back in the freezer for another 10 minutes.
- Once chilled, top each of the almond butter cups with the remaining chocolate and sprinkle with salt.
- Place the cupcake tin back in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Store the almond butter cups in the freezer, removing 5 minutes prior to serving.
This post was shared on: Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays